Section A (3a-4c)
How can we become good
Key words & phrases:
expression, discover, secret, grammar,
repeat, note, pal, physics, chemistry ,
1. I can understand the meaning by
watching their body language and
the expressions on their faces.
2. I can get the meaning by listening
for just the key words.
expression n. 表达（方式）；表示
discover v. 发现；发觉
secret n. 秘密；秘诀
fall in love with 爱上；与......相爱
Words and expressions
pal n. 朋友；伙伴
pattern n. 模式；方式
physics n. 物理；物理学
• Read the passage about Wei Fen
and answer the questions.
1.Why did Wei Fen find it difficult to learn
Because the teacher spoke too
quickly. She was afraid to ask
questions because her pronunciation
was very bad.
2. What did she do in English class?
3. What is the secret to language
She just hid behind her textbook and
never said anything.
She discovered that listening to
something interesting is the secret to
•How I Learned to Learn English
• Last year, I did not like my English class. Every
class was like a bad dream. The teacher spoke so
quickly that I did not understand her most of the time.
I was afraid to ask questions because of my poor
pronunciation. I just hid behind my textbook and
never said anything.
• Then one day I watched an English movie
called Toy Story. I fell in love with this exciting
and funny movie! So I began to watch other
English movies, too. Although I could not
understand everything the characters said, their
body language and the expressions on their faces
helped me to get the meaning. I also realized I
could get the meaning by listening
•for just the key words. My pronunciation
improved as well by listening to the conversations
in English movies.I discovered that listening to
something interesting is the secret to language
learning. I also learned useful sentences like “It's
a piece of cake” or “It serves you right.” I did not
•sentences at first. But because I wanted to
understand the story, I looked them up in a
• Now I really enjoy my English class. I
want to learn new words and more grammar
so that I can have a better understanding of
• Complete the sentences with what
Wei Fen learned from watching
movies. Use words and phrases from
•1. I can understand the meaning by watch
• -ing their ______________and the
• ___________ on their faces.
•2. I can get the meaning by listening for
• just the__________.
•3. My pronunciation improved by listening
• to the ______________________ in
• English movies.
•4. I learned _________sentences like
• “It’s a piece of cake” by
• the movies.
•5. I can get the meaning of the new
• words by looking them up in a
1. Why did Wei Fen find it difficult to learn
句子结构：find+it+adj.+to do sth.
Wang Dan found it important to learn English
• ① find + 宾语 + 宾补 （发现.......怎么样）
• e.g. He found English very easy.
• ② find sb. doing sth. (发现某人在干某事)
• e.g. Yesterday I found a boy playing in the
• ③ find + 从句 （发现......）
• e.g. Gina finds (that) she can’t answer the
•2. I fell in love with this exciting and funny
•fall in love with sb./sth.意为“坠入爱河，爱上某人/
•e.g. The little girl fell in love with a doll.
• They two fell in love with each other at the
• first sight.
【拓展】be in love with表示“在……恋爱”，表示
1.She _____ _____ ______ _____ Shanghai when
she visited the city at the first time.
2.How long _____ you _____ _____ _____ _____
fell in love with
have been in love with
•3. Although I could not understand everything the
characters said, their body language and the
expressions on their faces helped me to get the
•Although /Though it's hard work, but I enjoy it.
•Although /Though it's hard work, I enjoy it. √
•4. I discovered that listening to something
interesting is the secret to language learning.
•1) 本句是一个复合句，that引导宾语从句。 动名
词短语listening to something interesting在宾语从
•1.I __________(discover/invent) that she was a
• good cook.
•2. Edison didn’t discover electricity, but ________
• (discover/invent) the light bulb.
3)the secret to ... ……的秘诀
•5. I want to learn new words and more
• grammar so that I can have a better
• understanding of English movies.
• so that引导目的状语从句，意为“以便，为了”，
• 相当于in order that ...结构。
辨析so that与so ... that ...
般不用情态动词，在so that 前加括号。
so ... that ... 表示“如此 …… 以至于 ……”，that引导结果状语从
（ ）You have to leave now _____ you can
the early bus.
A.so that B.as soon as
1. Wei Fen found it difficult __ _______ (learn)
2. It’s too hard ______________(understand) the
• 3. I learned _________(use) sentences like “It’s a piece of
cake”by __________ (watch) the movies.
• 4.____________(memorize) words and phrases is a good way
to study English.
• 5.My writing also ___________(improve) by taking notes,
doing exercises and reading a lot.
•1.-- How do you improve your listening?
• -- I improve it by ________.
• A. watch English movies
• B. to watch English movies
• C. watching English movies
• D. watches English movies
•2. I try not to ________ mistakes in my
• A. do B. have C. make D. spell
•3.When you find some new words , you ’d
better ___ in the dictionary .
• A. look up it B. look them up
• C. look it up D. look up them
•4. The teacher told us that it was a good habit
___ in every class.
• A. to take notes B. take a note
• C. take notes D. to take note
•5.I find ____very impartant to study English
• A. its B. that C.this D.it
How do you learn English? I learn by studying with a
Do you learn English by
Yes, I do. It helps my
How can I read faster? You can read faster by
reading word groups.
How can I improve my
One way is by listening to
Match the questions and answers.4a
1.How do you practice
2.How do you learn new
3.How do you improve your
4.How do you practice
5.How do you improve your
6.How do you learn
a.By watching English
b.By listening to a tape and
repeating out loud.
c.By having conversations
d.By taking notes, doing
exercises and reading a
e.By making word cards.
f.By writing e-mails to my
•a. I usually practice my English by taking notes /
• reading books and newspapers /speaking English
• with my classmates / memorizing sentence patterns.
•b. I usually learn math by ______________________
Make sentences using the structure “do sth.
by doing” with the subjects in the box and
information that is true for you.
solving new math
problems every day
• c. I usually practice my physics by ___________________.
• d. I usually improve my chemistry by _________________
• e. I usually practice my Chinese by___________________
• f. I usually improve my history and geography by
doing extra exercises
chemical terms and doing experiments
keeping a diary in
watching historical and geographical programs
•Check (✔) what you do to learn
English.Then interview your partner.
A: Do you learn English by doing grammar
B: Yes, I do.
A: How often do you do them?
I learn English by ... My partner learns
English by ...
exercises yes no how often yes no how often
taking notes in
keeping a diary
using an English
1.Why don't you join an English club to practice
2.Don't be afraid of ___________(ask) if you don't
3.I haven't finished _______(do) my homework
•1.-- How do you study English?
• -- I study English______making word cards.
• A. of B. by C. in D. on
•2.If you have questions, you should ask the
• A. from B. on C. for D. to
•3. I’ve learned _______ that way.
• A. a lot B. lot of
• C. a little D. a little of
•4. ________she study Japanese so well?
• A. How often B. How many
• C. How do D. How does
•5. I don’t know _________next.
• A. how to do B. what to do
• C. what can I do D. how I can do
6. Do you enjoy ______ the Internet?
A. surfing B. to surf
C. surf D. surfed
•7. He learnt English by ____ English
• A. listen B. listen to
• C. listening D. listening to
•8. It’s Sunday today. How about _____
• the mountains?
• A. to climb B. climb
• C. climbing D. climbed
What is learning???
1. Learned some ways to learn English.
2. Learned the structure:
by + v.-ing.
1. Read the passage in 3a smoothly.
2. Memorize the key words, phrases and
sentences in the grammar focus.